Information for Carers
Are You a Carer?
If you are please let us know - we may be able to help you.
Local authorities now have a legal duty to assess any carer who requests it. The assessment involves collecting information about you and your life, the difficulties you have and how they affect your wellbeing.
Carers Trust Heart of England provides a range of Information, advice and support services for carers of all ages. Coventry Carers’ Centre and Crossroads Care merged in June 2015 to become this ‘one stop shop’ for carers drawing together the wealth of experience and expertise of the two organisations that have been supporting carers in Coventry for many years. Tel: 024 7663 2972
The new Carers’ Centre offering information, advice and support is based in Central Library and is open to the public Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. The telephone Helpline – 024 7610 1040 – is open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm and Saturday 10:00am -2:00pm.
They also hold Carer Clinics, where carers can speak to an Information, Advice and Support Worker, in a number of GP surgeries in the city, at University Hospital, at the Caludon Centre and at other community venues – call 024 7610 1040 for more details.
There is a wealth of information on NHS Choices about carers and caring. Below are some links into the site that we hope you will find useful.
- A guide to care and support: Information for carers and people who have care & support needs.
- Caring for someone: Advice on providing care, medicines etc.
- Care after hospital: Providing care for people who have been recently discharged from hospital.
- Taking a break: Caring for someone can be a full-time job - find out about accessing breaks and respite care.
- Support and benefits for carers: Caring for someone can be a full-time job - find out about accessing breaks and respite care.
- Work and Disability: Guidance, support and help with employment issues.
- Being a young carer: Advice for carers 18 or under and their entitlement to support
Finance and Law
Help claiming benefits, looking after your bank balance and understanding the legal issues of caring.
- Benefits for carers: Directing carers to the benefits that can help them in their caring role
- Benefits for the under-65s: Advice and information on helping the person you look after get the benefits that they are entitled to.
- Benefits for the over-65s: Advice and information on financial support for older people with a disability or illness.
- Carer's Assessment: How your benefits maybe affected after the death of the person you look after and what happens to their benefits
- Other benefits: Advice for carers and the people they are looking after on claiming a whole host of other benefits unrelated to their disability or caring
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.